Friday, September 4, 2009

Labor Day - Celebrating US working folks

Boy the year is flying by, our children are starting school, the weather is changing and if you can believe it, there is Halloween and Thanksgiving merchandise in the stores already!

As we all gear up for a three day weekend, I had to stop and think... Labor Day- the first Monday of September... now why do we get the day off?? Oh yes, to celebrate US - YOU and ME - all the working folks out there! Which got me thinking a bit more about all the different kinds of jobs and responsibilities "US" Americans have. I salute anyone out there that is working day in and day out. Some jobs are more stressful than others, but who am I to judge which job is more important. But I do believe being a soldier and protection our country is by far one of the most admirable! I want to thank each and every one of you out there that has put on a uniform to protect me and my family. You are what makes this country what it is... FREE!

The Home Sweet Home Campaign wants to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday weekend.

Definition: Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is acreation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social andeconomic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearlynational tribute to the contributions workers have made to thestrength, prosperity and well-being of our country.

Oregon was the first U.S. state to recognize Labor Day in 1887. It became a U.S. National holiday in 1894.

In Canada, it became a national holiday on July 23, 1894.

0 comments: